I know. Duh.
I didn’t do much lesson planning this summer, which is unlike me. I’m usually planning on some level by 1 July and creating projects and units by August. This summer was different for a few reasons. Number one being I wasn’t really sure I would return to my school. Long story short: happy wife, happy life…and Mamma was ready for a change. We put feelers out to see if anything would jump off. Also, I had a great time visiting family this summer. Best since college days.
Although this year’s schedule is a dream come true professionally (secondary teaching wise…), it came with big anxiety. New class for me. High expectations for myself and from administrators. I talked big stuff about how I was gonna do the dang thang. I’ve spent a few of the nights this week looking at the ceiling and fretting. However, I’ve been planning and making serious progress mentally. With the big budget bump, I’ve worried about not spending enough and spending too much simultaneously.
I gave myself three days to plan each of my preps with hopes of being done by tomorrow. Luckily I added a buffer. I’m not done with Culinary, but I’m also not too concerned with making a decent start in the other classes, so I’ll work this class till Wednesday/Thursday. I also used some thinking time to rearrange the class which frees up heavy lifting time for more planning.
I used the CAI (curriculum, assessment, instruction) model to plan this year/semester. I have quarter themes, projects, and presentations set for the year and chapter focuses, recipes, and cool stuff detailed for the semester. I even have cross-curricular activities and guest presenters and tentative field trips planned.
Last big hurdle is purchasing food and inventorying equipment. I’ve never been one to sweat a daily lesson plan as long as I have a goal and activity in mind. I’m pretty swift with formative assessment and the project-based nature of vocational education fits my thought patterns.
I am 80% there.